Like the outdoors? Enjoy working with your hands? Want to learn a trade?
If you said yes to the above questions – an apprenticeship in Horticulture, Certificate III in Sports Turf Management is the trade for you! The apprenticeship is 48 months long – you will attend TAFE during this time.
There is a current position available with our within our client who will be the host company.
Our client is a local council, in Notting Hill, Victoria.
The work ranges from monitoring, maintaining and developing public open spaces, sports grounds, parks, gardens and streetscapes within the council zoned area.
Hours of work are Mon – Fri, 7 am to 3:30 pm.
Completing a Certificate III in Sports Turf Management will see you as a qualified Greenkeeper. Greenkeepers are responsible for preparing surfaces for play. This includes growing and maintaining grass on sports fields or greens, for example, golf ranges, turf wickets, bowling greens, general sports fields, schools and parks
Duties may involve but are not limited to:
- Install pressurised irrigation systems
- Operate machinery and equipment
- Implement a plant nutrition program
- Provide information on plants and their culture
- Control weeds
- Control plant pests, diseases and disorders
- Construct turf playing surfaces
- Establish turf
- Implement a grassed area maintenance program
- Renovate sports turf
- Contribute to work health and safety processes
- Implement a plant establishment program
- Implement soil improvements for garden and turf areas
- Prepare and apply chemicals
- Install drainage systems
- Operate pressurised irrigation systems
What we are looking for:
- Commitment to safety
- A genuine interest in gardening/horticulture and be able to demonstrate it by way of past or present action(s)
- Have a driver’s licence
- Willing to learn and able to take instruction
- Dedicated and committed to the full 36 months training contract
- Physically fit
- Reliable and punctual
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident to apply for this position.
In return, you will be rewarded with working with a team of experienced trade professionals, providing you with ongoing coaching, mentoring and support on the job, whilst also attending TAFE 1 day per week to complete your Certificate III in Sports Turf Management.
Apply now and we will be in contact if you are shortlisted.
To apply for this job please visit programmed.bigredsky.com.