- Make a difference; Use your technical skills to improve productivity
- Assist in implementing mining projects in continuous improvement and replication of best practice
- 8 days on, 6 off roster FIFO – Hope Downs 1
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for a Production Engineer to develop, lead and manage productivity and cost improvement initiatives at our Hope Downs 1 mine site. This role is a great opportunity for a strong minded individual who wishes to further their knowledge of all functions within the operations space and gain leadership exposure within the mine operations team. Moreover this is for someone who is willing to think outside of the box, challenge the status quo and drive change
Reporting to the Senior Production Engineer, you will be:
- Leading projects on behalf of the mine operations team which may include but are not limited to productivity, asset utilisation, cost reductions, safety, and short/mid term horizon capital projects
- Engaging with key stakeholders and building relationships with mining technical services, dewatering, fixed plant and mobile equipment maintenance teams to deliver required business outcomes
- Demonstrating leadership and set the example across the 5 pillars (safety, people, production, cash & partnership) within the mine operations team
- A leader of the Critical Risk Management (CRM) processes and demonstrate its ideals on a daily basis
- Coordinating and supporting PMO productivity initiatives within mine operations team such as PDP, establishing best practice
- Provide appropriate coaching, mentoring and technical support to Superintendents, Supervisors and MTS Engineers
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- A manual C Class drivers licence
- Demonstrated experience in both mine engineering and mine production roles in large open pit mining operations including mine planning, and drill & blast design
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- The motivation and ability to be self-driven and work autonomously
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- A WA Unrestricted Quarry Manager Certificate or the ability to obtain one
- Demonstrated data analysis & presentations skills using SQL databases, PowerBI, and equivalent systems
- Experience with autonomous truck and drill systems
- A tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering or related discipline
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world’s largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
Applications close on 5th of December, 2023 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date).
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for almost 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Ready to experience something unique? Come work with us.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.riotinto.com.