- Career change opportunity; No experience necessary with full training provided
- Fantastic lifestyle roster based in Perth working 3 days on, 3 nights on and 6 days off
- Generous packages including base salary, lifestyle allowances, bonus, super
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
We have a rare and exciting opportunity to join our Rail Operations team as a Train Controller and be part of the world’s first automated heavy haul rail network.
Not sure what a Train Controller does? That’s okay, because these opportunities do not require previous experience with full training to be provided to the successful candidates. Our Train Controllers coordinate and control railway activities to ensure safe and timely movement of ore between our Pilbara mines and Dampier and Cape Lambert ports. Our Pilbara operations include a network of 15 mines, 1700km of rail and four separate ports, all supported by our Operations Centre in Perth. To find out more, check out this video.
As a Train Controller, you will play an important part and have a direct impact in achieving safety and production goals while working with the latest technology at our state-of-the-art Operations Centre (OC) located in Perth.
Working an attractive 3 days on, 3 nights on, 6 off roster and reporting to the Superintendent Rail Operations, you will be:
- Monitoring the integrity of rail communications and asset protection systems taking appropriate action where necessary
- Utilising systems and applications to authorise, execute, record and respond to rail vehicle movements and safe working activities
- Safely planning and executing control and authorisation activities on the railways network
- Planning and allocation of crew resources
What you will need for this role
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate the below :
- Demonstrate leadership capabilities
- Multitask to deliver results with excellent attention detail while managing challenging and conflicting priorities
- Follow specific rules and procedures and work within tight parameters
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and ability to make decisions in a quick and thorough manner
- C Class Manual Drivers licence
Where you will be working
This role is being offered in Perth based out of our Operations Centre, near the Perth Airport. Our privately owned and operated rail network is an essential part of our integrated production process and services our 15 mines across the Pilbara via 1,700km of track. With depots located at Tom Price, Cape Lambert and Dampier (7 Mile), each train is operated by a single driver and comprises up to three locomotives and 240 ore cars stretching to approximately 2.7 kilometres in length with over 40 trains operating per day. We are also applying and adapting technology to improve safety and productivity across our rail network.
What’s on offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
We operate 200 locomotives on more than 1,700 kilometres of track in the Pilbara, transporting ore from 16 mines to four port terminals. The average return distance of these trains is about 800 kilometres with the average journey cycle, including loading and dumping, taking approximately 40 hours.
Our network is the largest privately owned and operated heavy haul rail system in Australia, and as we focus on the future, our vision is to become the greatest heavy haul railway in the world.
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions. This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.riotinto.com.